Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Frustrated!!!!

Ben and I buy a lot of bottles of water. It is really cheap to get them at Costco. After a few months, I noticed that our trash had a lot of empty plastic bottles in it, and I started to feel really bad. I decided that I would start saving the plastic bottles and eventually take them to a recycling center. I was really excited and felt good about doing something good!

After two months we filled 2 trash bags with empty bottles. So I looked on-line for the nearest recycling center. I got the address and phone number, called to make sure they accepted plastic and went on my way to drop off my load. When I got to the address listed they said that they only took recyclables at their drop off site (would have been helpful to know over the phone, but oh well...it was only a few blocks away). I go to the site they said and there was a big sign that said "Metal Only". So I asked, and sure enough...they only took metal.

I went home and found another place on-line and when I went to take it there....I couldn't find it. I drove around for 40 minutes trying to find it. I found the address where it was supposed to be, but no building?!!!! ARRGGGGG!!!

My neighbor finally took the bags with her to SLC when she visited her parents and set it out with their recyclables. But in the mean time....we accumulated 2 more bags of plastic bottles....

Okay...so 3rd times a charm....I looked up BYU's recycling, but they only took paper and aluminum cans...but they had a link to a place here in Provo where they took plastic....so I went and there was NO BUILDING!!!!....are you kidding me. It was an empty lot. And there was no phone number, so I couldn't call! So FRUSTRATING...I am just trying to be good, and it is all back firing. I was so mad that I saw a dumpster and just threw the bags in. I felt bad, but I was just so mad!

So if you know of a real place where I can take my plastic bottles, please let me know....otherwise I may just end up throwing my bottles away again!

6 comments:

Mer said...

You're so good, at least you tried. Right? :o)

Crystal said...

haha. You make me laugh. I can just see you w/ little cute Charley in the back-on your way to doing "something good." heehee. We waste a lot of water bottles too...I got a Brita Pitcher to feel better, but I find myself still wanting to buy the water bottles cuz they're way more convenient. haha. I don't know the solution mer! But good job trying!:) heehee.

mlzendejas said...

Maybe a good way to recycle is to re-use them yourself. Save the bottles, rinse them out and refill them and store them in the fridge. This way you are not accumulating bags and bags of plastic bottles, and you are saving money.

Garrison Propaganda said...

EEEEEE, just stop buying plastic bottles. its actually not good to reuse them too much. bacteria and whatnot builds up in them, and theyre not meant to repeatedly be reused. find a nice reusable workout bottle you can hand wash/throw in a dishwasher if you cant find a recycling place. not only is throwing them out bad for the environment, but so are all the huge semis truckin cross country to deliver them for buyers. (sorry, can you tell im a recycling nut). but, you did put forth quite the valiant effort to dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way. sorry i dont know much about utah area recycling other than it sounds like they need a lot more!

Ben said...

mlz's solution might work if I liked the taste of Utah water... which I don't. One reason we buy bottled water is because Utah's water just tastes a little funky to me!

W said...

So sorry Meredith! I hate when stuff like that happens, especially when you called ahead of time. I have no idea where they do recycle. That's actually a little pet peeve of mine that BYU doesn't have better recycling.