Sunday, December 14, 2008

My thing I am going to do this next year....


Last year I made a goal to run a marathon. I have been wanting to run a marathon since high school. Finally after talking with Ben, I just decided to do it. I registered for one, and there was no turning back....I paid $90, and no refund...so I had to do it.

This coming year I decided that I am going to compete in the National Hoop Dance Competition down in Arizona. I have been dancing for almost 9 years, and I have talked about going for the last 6 years. Every year around the time of the competition I always find some excuse not to go....Living Legends 10 day tour, no money, pregnant...I always find something.

Well this year, I have no excuses. Especially since gas prices are falling, and my sister just moved to Arizona, about a mile away from the competition...I have to go!

When I dance at Pow Wows or for other events, people always ask if I ever have, and when I tell them I haven't they tell me I should. I am not expecting to go past the first round, but I think it will be a good experience. I will be competing against both females and males (there still isn't a big enough showing of females to have our own competition...that is why I don't think I will make it very far.) I have a very different style of dancing, and I don't know yet how well I will be preceived at a national level with other great hoop dancers.

But I tell you this because I can't register prior to the competition, I have to register there. So by telling people I am going to compete is my way of registering. I have to now complete my task! The competition is at the beginning of February, and I still haven't started training hard....I should start! Wish me Luck!

10 comments:

Garrison Propaganda said...

alright, february, youre committed now! cant wait to hear the practice updates and how things actually go down in arizona. good luck!

Jansen Tribe said...

Good luck!! I can't wait to hear how well you did!! You will do great! Don't worry about anything but having fun!!

bmz said...

You have to come! I've been telling people at work that you are competing. When you come I'm taking you to my 2 favorite restaurants with the best desserts as motivation!

Carlos said...

Also, if you want to drop of Charley, we can watch her while you practice!

Crystal said...

Yay Meredith! Good luck:) You're going to do great!!

W said...

Love your picture! You're going to be great. I would train with you but I don't know how to hoop dance!

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Scott and Analisa said...

yay!!! you are going to do so well. I am excited to hear about your practices and all the updates. Be sure to take a video!!!

Viliami said...

Meredith,
You will do just fine...you can't think that you won't go far. Who said ladies can't beat guys?!? Just give it your all and I know you'll do great! Good luck in all you do!

Mer said...

Hmmm, I don't think you should be worried hon. You're amazing!! And SOOO talented. I'm sure you'll do great, please don't be so worried.