Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Glory Days

Pictured above: Lohi, Eva, Jordan, Me, Charmay,Channy

Chauma, Me, Jordan
Crystal and I
Michele and I before the DeJong Show
The alumni Fancy girls. Us, along with the current Living Legend girls danced the Women's Fancy during the Heritage Week show.


Las week I relived my college glory days. And I have to tell you, it was fun! When I was in college, I danced for a group called Living Legends. It showcased Native American, Latin American, and Polynesian traditional dances. I danced with them for 3 years. While I was in there I was able to dance all over the US including Alaska, Washington, New Mexico, and Washington DC. I also toured for a month in South Africa, and danced in all the different venues during the SLC 2002 Winter Olympics...including the Opening Ceremonies. This last week was the 40 year reunion of when Laminite Generation (the original name)/Living Legends first started.....in the 1970's. My sister, Jordan, was in it with me one year, and came out during her spring break to join in all the fun. We wanted to go watch the LL show, but by the time we decided to go, it was sold out. The only way for us to watch it was to actually be in it. So that is what we did. We spent Thursday morning of the show running through the fancy routine. We had a lunch break, then spacing at the DeJong. I had the girls with me, and they were great the whole day. I drove them home to stay with Ben before Jordan and I were off for the show. It was a amazing feeling dancing in the DeJong Concert Hall again. I'm glad I was able to experience it again.

After the show they had a little mix & mingle at the Student Center. They reserved the terrace for the event and it was litterally packed with old LL alumn! I loved seeing all my old friends. It was fun to see us all at a different stage in our lives, and being able to reconnect.

The rest of the weekend was full of alumni activities. Saturday morning I took Charley to the alumni showcase. I wanted her to see what it was all about.

We also took the girls to the Pow Wow where both the girls danced in their new regalia, and I danced hoop. It was a great weekend. I can't wait for the 50 year...hopefully we all wont wait that long!

2 comments:

Jordanlz said...

You forgot the story where Charley asked when you danced in LL, and you said it was before you were a mommy or married daddy, and you said that was when you were 21. And then Charley goes, "But you are 21 now!"

bmz said...

How old does that make you when you had Charley? She is one smart girl! But moreover, you are one smart mom!