Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rosenthal Blood!

More and more lately I have become my more like my mom. (Don't worry mom, it's not a bad thing! It's a good thing!) Last week on KSL (I think I may be addicted to that site!) I bought a little dresser I thought we could use as an entry table (to replace our bookshelf). We got it really cheap, and I spent this last week sanding and staining! I think it turned out pretty good!This is the dresser when I first got it. The picture does not do it justice on how bad this thing looked. It was previously in a little boys room...they scratched letters in the door, and it looked like they took a pencil and jabbed the side of it.
This is the dresser after I HAND sanded it.....yep, it was a pain and a half...It took me 3 days to sand it all down! On the third day a neighbor came by to see what I was doing and offered me her electric sander....so I used it to do some finishing touches on it. After I stripped all the old stuff off, I filled all the scratches and scoffs with wood filler....then sanded that down.

I put two coats of stain on it, then put a few coats of the gloss coat stuff on. We took the knobs off and founds some new ones to put on. And lucky our home teachers came over today, they ended up help carrying it all up so I didn't have to!

And the finished Product.......
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Ben wanted me to tell everyone he helped put the last gloss coat on and put the new knobs on. This was my first attempt at doing this. I was really excited to do it....when I was younger my mom did this all the time. I didn't know why she liked doing it so much....but for some reason, it is fun! I can't explain it, but I can't wait to do it again...I'm totally gonna redo my dresser in our room. And I bought a dresser a few months ago for the girls on KSL, that I am going to redo as well!

The title is refering to my mom's side of the family. My grandfather, uncles, cousins, my mom, and even some of my other aunts are all handy with everything....literally.

6 comments:

bmz said...

wow meredith--that looks really good. do you want to come over and hand sand the cradle? it needs to be re-stained, too!

mlzendejas said...

Very Nice! It looks great! You did a beautiful job! Grandpa will be pleased! It's so fun to see your many talents!

@Brooktynn: That cradle was a very time consuming and tedious task to refinish the first time! I wonder if you could get away with just sanding the varnish off and staining the cherry wood stain over it without having to strip it to the bare wood.

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Bravo! That looks so wonderful! And I can't believe you hand-sanded the whole dang thing. Wowzer!

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

It looks amazing! So you wanna do the same for my desk?? :) haha Or maybe I'll just need some tips!

Unknown said...

oooo, it looks beautiful!! It takes a lot of talent to see something for what it could be. I would have never guessed it would look so great!

Emily Bartlett said...

impressed! how did you know what kind of paint/gloss to buy? that's where i always get scared...once i get into home depot and have to make those decisions.