Monday, April 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Point Half

I have run 2 marathons, 3 Ragnars, and now I can add a half marathon to my resume'! I was originally going to sing up with a few ladies, but one by one, something came up and had to back out.  But I still wanted to run the half.  I was doing really good training up until a month ago.  I have been running/working out at least 5 days a week (I am doing a challenge with some friends...I'll explain at the end).  But I haven't found time to do any long runs for the past month.  I was a little worried about my legs not being able to make it, so I decided to just keep it at a good steady pace.  I found a pacer for the race, and kept with her the whole way.  I just looked at the official time, and I finished in 2 hours 19 minutes!!  (about a 10:37 min/mile pace) ....not bad. I was pretty proud of myself!  And to top it off I was greeted by my cute little family at the finish.....Ben got all the girls ready and out the door to cheer me on at the finish! 

I learned a few things while running:
1. I am slow, but I have a pace that I can hold forever. Even without my long run training, I felt like I could have done a full marathon.
2. Even though I am slow, I still like to pick people off. ....as in passing people. 
3. I am not one of those cool young runners anymore.  I am a mom runner....I run with a fanny pack.  It is a small running one, but I run with a fanny pack none the less!
4. And I am a little scared to see what I actually look like running. There was this lady who looked like a really slow runner....but she was a head of me. If she looked like that, then what do I look like?!
5. I hate training, but I love the actual race.

When I first had Charley, I made a goal for myself to run a marathon after every kid I had.  And I hope that by this fall I will have completed that goal! This half was to help me figure out how my body was doing.  Now, I just need to figure out what full  I want to do.

As for my challenge.  There is a group of 6 ladies that live in our neighborhood.  We all have recently had babies, and were looking for some motivation to get our baby weight off.  So we came up with a challenge:  We started March 1, and it will go until June1st.  We have to work out for 5 days a week, for at least a half an hour.  If we don't, we have to put $50 in the pot, and the money will get split between the ladies that make it the full 3 months.  I has been a great motivator to workout, even on those days were it is so easy to talk yourself out of it.  I think we are going to do a different challenge when this one is over. But this was a good one to start with to get us in the habit.

3 comments:

Sam and/or Monika said...

awesome job! i'm afraid to know what i look like when i run, too. i have this "nike" image in my head, but i doubt that that is actually what i look like. ;)

sam and i are training for the chicago half. i had the same challenge for myself after makayah was born. so i only have two - soon to be three races under my belt.

but, go you! you are a running machine. :)

honorindians said...

As for you "challenge", it sounds like gambling to me!

Courtney Schramm said...

oh ya you go girl!! You are looking spectacular and congrats on your half! that's an amazing accomplishment!!